Further Up and Further In

The Deeper Magic of Time Before Dawn has called me, a mere child, to join it. Further up and further in I must go!

Friday, February 17, 2006

Indifference

I'm reading 1984 with my seniors this quarter. This is my first time teaching the book, so I find myself encountering new ideas as I teach (of course, I hope that I find myself doing the same thing years down the road!). Orwell describes the proles--or proletariats--as being the only hope for the nation. The problem is that the proles don't get it. They are so tied up in their day-to-day that they are unable to see beyond it. Orwell says:
In reality very little was known about the proles. It was not necessary to know much. So long as they continued to work and breed, their other activites were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern. They were born, they grew up in the gutters, they went to work at twelve, they passed through a brief blossoming period of beauty and sexual desire, they married at twenty, they were middle-aged at thirty, they died, for the most part at sixty. Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer, and above all, gambling filled up the horizons of their minds.
It's funny (and not ha-ha funny) to me how much this resembles most Americans. We get caught up in living our day-to-day lives and become blind to the princibles behind our lifestyles. Orwell continues:
No attempts was made to indoctrinate [the proles] with the ideology of the Party. It was not desirable that the proles should have strong political feelings. All that was required of them was a primitive patriotism which could be appealed to whenever it was necessary to make them accept longer working hours or shorter rations. And even when they became discontented, as they sometimes did, their discontent led nowhere, because, being without general ideas, they could only focus it on petty specific grievances. The larger evils inevitably escaped their notice.
Orwell is talking about a group of people who are so consumed with the petty happenings of their lives that they cannot see beyond them, in the political sense. I encouraged my students today to strive to see beyond their daily duties to what lies behind those actions. This is political--absolutely. We should be making our opinions known to the decision makers; we should be drawing attention to important issues. But it is even bigger than politics, I think. It we stay focused on the political arena, we are still guilty of the same shortcoming as Orwell's pride. We need to look beyond the specific and, while not neglecting the specific, make sure we understand the big picture. Do I have a philosophy of life? Do I have an opinion (even a loosely held opinion!) on how God and the government should work together? Do I have sentiments toward God that are more than a general belief in a higher being whom I can call on in the midst of personal or national crises? My hope today is that I'm able to do well in my day-to-day because I am focused on the Big Picture.

5 Comments:

Blogger David Porta said...

In the American system, the people select individuals to represent their interests in the three branches of government. Mayor, County Board of Supervisors, Selectman, City Councilman, Town Council, local judge, state legislature representative, governor, Congressman, Senator, President / Vice President.

Danielle says...
"Do I have an opinion (even a loosely held opinion!) on how God and the government should work together?"

It is all well and good to be politically involved. One's commitment to values of right and wrong have implications about the role of government, and moral principles have political implications: e.g., should there be free speech for all? Or only for some? And how does that apply to campaign finance?

Certainly there are differing philosophies, hence political division, hence different political parties, and for the rational voter it all should factor into how he votes.

Danielle says...
"Orwell is talking about a group of people who are so consumed with the petty happenings of their lives that they cannot see beyond them, in the political sense."

But, beyond voting?
The average citizen is busy living his life. The whole purpose of voting for someone is to delegate the job of politics and government to the politicians, whose work it is to deal with the minutiae of legal code, legislation, policy, etc.

Danielle says...
"My hope today is that I'm able to do well in my day-to-day because I am focused on the Big Picture."

The rational voter needs a big picture for perspective in determining his vote. Keep abreast of the news. Know your principles, and their implications. Beyond that, the petty happenings of one's day-to-day life are plenty enough to keep one occupied, without thinking about government.

February 19, 2006 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danielle said:

"It's funny (and not ha-ha funny) to me how much this resembles most Americans. We get caught up in living our day-to-day lives and become blind to the principals behind our lifestyles."

This has been repeated through out history. Germany, prior to World War II, was taking over the world while the governments of the world (and the people) watched and refused to get involved.

Today, the government of India sanctions the killing of Christians. In another part of the world the government leaders are chanting "Jihad" while the people of the US complain about the little that is being done to combat it with "Why are we in a war no one wanted?"

David is correct in saying that in America we can vote and email our representatives. We can work to change laws and make a difference.

Our daily lives need to contain some measure of voicing opinions for righteousness and using the freedom we have in the US while we still do.

It is sad, but I also agree with David that "the petty happenings of one's day-to-day life are plenty enough to keep on occupied" - in other words to lull us to sleep. Instead it should bring us to our knees.

We may be powerless to change the whole world, but we aren't powerless to change a little portion of our world.

February 19, 2006 9:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick Davis said...

Danielle,
David is correct when he says it is appropriate to be busy in our own lives, not excuding Christian charity in all that we do. The only problem is that when government becomes too big and important it will of necessity consume all of our daily tasks. Our forefathers wisely created a strictly limited government that would not step on people often, the reality being that government always does step on people. Unfortunately both parties have long ago left the limited concept and are pressing onwards toward the unlimited concept. That is something to be feared, and I hope that your generation will not reap its bitter fruits.
Dad

February 20, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Good stuff here, sis. And I love the comments too :)
Nice new look to the blog.
Oh, for time to blog again -- this house stuff has consumed me and I miss the therapy of blogging. Next week, I hope, I'll be back on it :)
Have fun teaching today :)
Love ya lots!

February 24, 2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I am home tonight, not feeling well (missing the Boy Scout Pinewood Derby!!) and lying on the couch watching t.v. A commercial for Seinfeld immediately made me think of this post...now I understand why that show and its soaring popularity always BUGGED ME SO DARN MUCH!!!

February 28, 2006 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home